Title: A Challenge to Web Accessibility Metrics and Guidelines: Putting People and Processes First
Authors: Cooper, M., Sloan, D., Kelly, B. and Lewthwaite, S.
Conference: W4A 2012: 9th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 16-18 April 2012, Lyon
Cooper, M., Sloan, D., Kelly, B. and Lewthwaite, S., 2012. A Challenge to Web Accessibility Metrics and Guidelines: Putting People and Processes First. In: W4A 2012: 9th International Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility, 16-18 April 2012, Lyon. DOI: 10.1145/2207016.2207028
The co-authors of this paper are:
- Martyn Cooper, Open University, UK. ORCID: 0000-0002-7076-1070
- David Sloan, University of Dundee, UK. ORCID: 0000-0002-8302-7879
- Brian Kelly, UKOLN, University of Bath, UK. ORCID: 0000-0001-5875-8744
- Sarah Lewthwaite, King’s College London, UK. ORCID: 0000-0003-4480-3705
This paper argues that web accessibility is not an intrinsic characteristic of a digital resource but is determined by complex political, social and other contextual factors, as well as technical aspects which are the focus of WAI standardisation activities. It can therefore be inappropriate to develop legislation or focus on metrics only associated with properties of the resource.
The authors describe the value of standards such as BS 8878 which focus on best practices for the process of developing web products and include a user focus.
The paper concludes with a case study that illustrates how learning analytics could provide data to support the improvement of the inclusivity of learning resources, providing a broader perspective beyond the digital resource.
- Researchgate: [Link]
- ACM: [Link]
- UKOLN Web site: [Link]
- Conference web site: [Link]
- Blog posts:
- Paper Accepted for #W4A2012 Conference, Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus blog, 7 March 2012
- Are You a Marxist in Your Approaches to Research?, Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus blog, 13 April 2012
- Web 4 All conference 2012: A Challenge to Web Accessibility Metrics and Guidelines, Sarah Lewthwaite, Slewth Press, 16 April 2012
- More on Learning Analytics and Disabled Students, Martyn Cooper, Martyn Cooper’s weblog, 15 May 2012
- YouTube: About our W4A 2012 paper, 4 April 2012
- Slideshare: [Link], David Sloan
Feel free to use the comment facility in this blog post to ask questions, provide feedback, etc.
There were 3 citations of this paper on 24 July 2013, 10 on 15 June 2014 and 16 on 26 March 2015 according to Google Scholar Citations.